UI Designer Intern
HelpSeeker is recruiting for a full-time (minimum 30 hours/week) UI Designer Intern to join our ever-expanding team – a designer that will turn HelpSeeker software into easy-to-use products that create both functional and appealing features to address client needs and will increase our customer base. If you have a portfolio of professional design projects that includes work with web/mobile applications, we’d like to meet you!
HelpSeeker’s UI Designer Intern will be responsible for creating and designing the overall look and feel of our products while adhering to industry best practices. The successful candidate will have experience with design software, user-centric design, and wireframing tools. This position will be working with a cross-functional team whose work focuses on building products from the ground up and validating that our products meet customer needs.
This is a remote position – work from home anywhere in Canada.
The internship commences October 1, 2021, and ends March 31, 2022. There may be an opportunity to transition to a permanent position once the internship has been completed.
This position is being hired through the Digital Skills for Youth (DS4Y) Program
To qualify as an Intern for this role, you must:
- Be between the ages of 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the internship
- Be a post-secondary graduate (not mandatory for candidates living in the Yukon, North West Territories, and Nunavut)
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada and is legally entitled to work
- Self-assess as underemployed – meaning that you are employed below your level of education, are unemployed or hold part-time employment (for further information: https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/122.nsf/eng/h_00000.html#del-org).
We are a social technology company, dedicated to developing digital solutions that help resolve complex social issues.
As a B Corp, we are obsessed with achieving our social purpose through a sustainable, successful business model. Join 50+ high achievers in technology, systems change, social research, data science, and community engagement. HelpSeeker has a 100% remote work environment, and as such, all staff work from their home offices. We have staff located in many provinces throughout Canada.
When you join HelpSeeker you will:
- Gather and evaluate design requirements in collaboration with internal/external stakeholders, the product management team, and the development team.
- Work with stakeholders to ensure design elements adhere to the company brand and focus on customer goals.
- Be a proponent and a voice for the user and ensure we are building products that address user needs.
- Collaborate with UX/UI Designers to ensure consistency of the user experience for all products and services and adherence to industry best practices (e.g. accessibility, colour theory, etc).
- Facilitate and participate in ongoing design sprints.
- Illustrate design ideas using storyboards, process flows and sitemaps.
- Design graphic user interface elements like menus, tabs and widgets and share them easily with the development team.
- Develop UI mockups and prototypes that communicate the goal of the product and what needs it is addressing.
- Present prototype iterations to internal teams and key stakeholders, and iterate based on feedback.
- BSc in Design, Information Design, Computer Science or relevant field.
- Proven work experience of at least three (3) years as a UI Designer or similar role.
- Portfolio of previous projects.
- Experience collaborating with multidisciplinary teams and stakeholders throughout the design process.
- Knowledge of design tools (e.g. InVision, AdobeXD, Figma, etc).
- Strong problem-solving skills and familiarity with technical constraints and limitations.
- Team player with excellent time management skills.
- Strong communication skills to collaborate with various stakeholders.
- Experience with Agile project management methodology is an asset.
Our Commitment To a Diverse Culture & Reconciliation
We value authentic Reconciliation and realize that restoring relationships is integral to systemic transformation. We acknowledge Indigenous people and perspectives as an asset to our work and teams, and therefore encourage applicants to self-identify as Indigenous.
We believe in a holistic, diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. We ensure equal opportunity for all applicants and encourage people of all visible minorities, and those of any religion, sex, age, ability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression to apply for our job opportunities.
We are committed to making HelpSeeker a more diverse and inclusive workplace. A part of this commitment is our participation in the 50-30 Challenge to increase representation of women and under-represented groups of people including visible minorities, people living with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ2S+ community. As founding peoples of Canada, First Nations, Inuit and Métis persons are under-represented in positions of economic influence and leadership.
Learn more about the 50-30 Challenge here: https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/icgc.nsf/eng/07706.html
If you are interested in joining us at HelpSeeker, please fill out the form below